Social Icons

Pages

Saturday 17 December 2011

Review Of Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 | Download

If you follow the internet security industry at all then you will probably already know that it is customary for companies to release their lineup for the following year at about this time. Of all the security products I’ve chosen to look at over the coming 12 months, the first off the blocks this year is Kaspersky Internet Security 2012. So, without further ado, I’ll take a look at the Russian lab’s offering to see how it fares against last year’s products and, in time, how it compares with it’s competition.
The Good:
  • Quick to install
  • Quick to run
  • Effective detection of threats

The Bad:
  • Scanning disabled if your laptop is running off the battery (though this setting can be changed)
  • The very first update is quite large and, in some cases, can take quite some time to install
Installation and first impression
Installation of the files needed to run Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 was very quick indeed. At the beginning of the installation process the program looked for any conflicting security programs that were already on my system and, to my surprise, it did actually find remnants of an old installation of a competing product (I won’t embarrass the company by naming whose uninstallation procedure didn’t quite work as it should). After this, it was a simple case of activating the product and then I was up and running.
Once the program was up and running I downloaded the latest update, which took a while, and then gave it a quick spin. As this is the first 2012 product I’ve looked at it is difficult to be objective as to how Kaspersky’s latest program will compare with others that are released later in the year but my initial impression is very positive indeed. Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 is packed full of all the features that you would expect to see in such a program and definitely offers a significant level of extra protection when compared to any standalone antivirus program.
The interface is nice and simple to understand with all the common items you will need easily accessible.

Features
To say that Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 is feature packed would be something of an understatement. I think the only task I found that the program couldn’t complete for me was switching my lights on and off!
Here is a quick list of the more important features that the program has to offer -
  • antivirus protection (files, mail, instant messaging and web)
  • spam protection
  • firewall
  • applications control
  • network defense
  • network monitoring
  • ad blocking
  • quick response to new threats via the cloud protection
  • parental controls
  • gaming profile
  • virtual keyboard which is a defense against keyloggers
System Requirements
Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 has the following system requirements -
  • Windows XP Service Pack 2 /Vista /7 (both 32 bit and 64 bit)
  • a minimum of 480 MB free hard drive space
  • an internet connection
  • a processor rated at 1Ghz or above
  • 1 GB RAM for a 32 bit operating system / 2GB RAM if you are running 64 bit Windows
Additionally, the program will run on the majority of current line netbooks assuming they can match or exceed the following specs -
  • Intel Atom processor 1.6 Ghz (not 1.6 Mhz as their web site currently says!) or better
  • I GB or more RAM
  • Windows XP home or newer
  • 10.1″ + screen size
  • an Intel GMA950 video adaptor (or compatible) with at least 64 MB of RAM
Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 effectiveness
Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 effectiveness
Effectiveness
With Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 installed I surfed on over to malwaredomainlist.com where I deliberately played with some nasty files (no screenshots guys and I don’t recommend doing that yourself either unless you are sure you know what you are doing).
I tested the program against 15-20 URLs and all were successfully identified as a threat. Now that is obviously a very small sample when you consider the thousands of threats that are out in the wild but it does fill me with confidence in this program.
+ Plus Points
What is there not to like? Not much.
Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 is quick to install and looks great. The program offers a huge range of features and, from my limited testing, seems to do what it should, i.e. protect your system.
Bar a couple of very minor points (see below) I think the program is great!

- Minus Points
Whilst using Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 I really did struggle to find anything I don’t like about the program. If you were to twist my arm and force me to come up with one thing though then it would actually be something that could be construed as a positive point as well. By that I mean the only annoyance I came across was the first update of the database and the program – it took, like, forever!
That first update, if memory serves, was well over 100MB in size which is huge, especially when you consider I’m writing this before the product has even been officially released. Having said that, the original installation files were small which allowed me to get up and running quite quickly so I guess it is to be expected. As I said, though, having such a big update is a good thing though because you know that you will be protected from a large number of threats just as soon as you have it installed.
Another minor grumble, which is very easily and quickly fixed, can be found under the advanced settings. Whilst I think everything else is fine if left at defaults, the battery saving option is set up to disable scheduled scanning if running on battery power – this is potentially risky in my opinion – untick the box to make sure you don’t miss a scheduled scan guys.
Kaspersky Internet Security 2012
Kaspersky Internet Security 2012
Conclusion
As you may have already picked up, I am duly impressed by the latest offering from Kaspersky Labs. This internet security program installs quickly and does it’s job well. The program is packed with features and will, I’m sure, serve you well for the year ahead.
The system requirements are not too high by today’s standards and the program ran happily in the background whilst I got on with other things on my now aging laptop. The interface is clear of clutter whilst making it easy to find what you need. For the most part, the default settings will serve you well and so this is a program I could definitely recommend to those looking for a robust security solution that can pretty well be set up and then left to get on with the job. Non-computer experts should have no problems getting Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 up and running on their computers and keeping it safe and secure.
Evaluate Kaspersky Lab products for free! You can try out a free 30-day trial version of one of our products right now. Click Here
Do you want to see what the other vendors are offering this year? If so, read my other 2012 Internet Security reviews.

1 comment: